Thursday, February 28, 2008

When ketuba didn't wow, bride created her own

Tsilli Pines couldn't find a ketubah that she and her fiance liked. The Jewish wedding contract is often artfully handwritten and later framed as a wall decoration. But Pines, 33, a Portland, Ore.-based graphic designer, wanted something modern and simple. So she designed her own ketubah -- and then one for a friend.

"I started thinking that other people might also be drawn to what I was doing," she said.

Pines researched the historical precedent of the form and was attracted to the asymmetrical designs from Iran, which were very much in the spirit of modern graphic design.

"A lot of the early, native ketubot were incredible, too -- they were more bold than ornate, and I found that beautiful," she said.

Having grown up in Northern California, she found the simplicity of Japanese design a big influence: "I've looked at an enormous amount of material in the course of studying and practicing design, and I'm sure a lot of that makes its way into my work."

Pines is creating ketubot that feature trees or flowers or birds or moons under the name New Ketubah.

Read More

No comments: